Research for women's roles at home and school in the science field
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Japan Women's University |
SHIMOMURA Kyoko Japan Women's University, Fac.of Science, Assistant, 理学部, 助手 (20257067)
KODATE Kashiko Japan Women's University, Fac.of Science, Professor, 理学部, 教授 (20060668)
|Project Period (FY)
1995 – 1997
Completed (Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,200,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1997: ¥500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1996: ¥500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1995: ¥1,200,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,200,000)
|Keywords||education in the science and technology / course-taking / home, school and society / womens' success in the society / 家庭環境と母親の役割 / 母親の専攻と子供の進路 / インターネット / 科学技術教育と女性の役割の意識調査 / 家庭環境と学校教育 / 理科離れと母親の役割 / 女性教員の育成の意義 / 女子理系女子大学の役割|
We carried out investigations by questionnaire on awareness of technology and unpopularity of science as one's special field throughtout three years since the Heisei 7th academic year. The results show that mothers' awareness and environment have a great impact on their children's decision-making for their courses. Thus it is proved that education for women is highly essential for bringing up the future capable persons in the science field. In addition, women play the important roles in the school education. In the science field, especially in the physical one, it is desired that there should be more woman teachers as models.
Furthemore in the Heisei 9th academic year, we made an analysis of this reserach theme and the results are shown as follows.
1) Following the Heisei 7th and 8th year, we made the same questionnaires on awareness of technology and unpopularity of science from July to August, 1997. This study was targeted at 100 students in the faculty of Science, Japan Women's Univer
sity and 150 students under the correspondence course. The collecting rate was 97%.
2) Having taken the previous outcomes, which show that students tend to dislike science since the primary school age, into consideration, we made inquiry about the present conditions of science education at prrimary schools.
3) Simultaneously, we furthered this research by interviewing primary school teachers. The tendency is shown that students at the schools under investigation start to dislike science from the 8th grades. At the same time it is ensured that this trend greatly affects their decisions not to take further course.
4) By inputting the data into the computer, we obtained the visualized outcomes, adding the interpretations.
5) We concluded that home, school and society have mutually interconnected in terms with influences over students wishing to go on to science courses.
Women are assumed to have a key role in science and technology education in these following fields, i.e.examination of curriculum arrangements and teaching of various sorts of experiments, knowledge of women's improved position in the society, promotion of the opportunities for experiencing the real science and enhancement of mothers' awareness at home.
6) As shown above, the outcome for the Heisei 9th investigation was partly presented at the 58th Applied Optics Annual Conference. Less
Report (4 results)
Research Products (9 results)