Grant-in-Aid for international Scientific Research
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Tokai University|
AIKAWA Masamichi Tokai Uni., Inst.of Medical Science, Professor, 総合医学研究所, 教授 (90271593)
LOOARESSUWAN ソンチャイ マヒドール大学, 熱帯医学部, 教授
NUSSENZWEIK Ruth New York State Univ., Tropical Med., Professor, 医学部, 教授
MATSUMOTO Yoshitsugu Uni.of Tokyo, Agri., Assoc.Professor, 農学部, 助教授 (00173922)
LOOAREESUWAN Sorchai Mahidol Univ., Tropical Med., Professor
LOOAREESUWAN ソンチャイ Mahidol University, Tropical Medicine, Professor
PONGPONRATN イー マヒドン大学, 医学部・病理, 教授
LOOARESUWAN エス マヒドン大学, 医学部・熱帯医学, 教授
CHEONGSUPHA ティー マヒドル大学, 医学部・熱帯医学, 教授
NUSSENZWEIG アール ニューヨーク大学, 医・分子寄生虫, 教授
翠川 裕 鈴鹿医療科学技術大学, 助教授 (10209819)
堤 寛 東海大学, 医・病理, 助教授 (80138643)
本庄 祐 京都大学, 医・医化学, 教授 (80090504)
金田 良雅 東海大学, 医・寄生虫, 教授 (60051471)
|Project Period (FY)
1996 – 1997
Completed(Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥13,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥13,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥6,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥6,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,600,000)
|Keywords||cerebral malaria / sequestration / subcutaneous tissues / intra mucosa gastric pH / qinghaosue / deferoxamine / artesnate / Deferoxamine Antagonism / Cerebral malaria / Deferoxamine / Antagonism / 胃粘膜 / 毛細血管|
1. We examined 95 cerebral malaria patients in the ICU of Bangkok Hospital for Tropical Diseases.
(1) Sequestration of blood capillary with P.falciparum-infected red blood cells in the brain is a characteristic future of cerebral malaria. We found similar capillary sequestration in subcutaneous tissues in severe malaria patients. In a rhesus monkey model of cerebral malaria, cor relation between sequestration rates in the brain and subcutaneous tissues was observed.
(2) According to a gastric intramucosal pH value, patients were divided into two groups (normal or low). The mortality rate was greater in low (less than 7.3) group. All patients with persistently low gastric intramucosal pH died.
2. We organized an international meeting, "MALARIA WORKSHOP" on June 15,16,1997 at kasumigaseki in Tokyo, Japan. About 50 malaria specialists participated to the meeting and discussed the latest results and information on malaria studies. Understanding of today's crisis of malaria recrudescence, the
participants convinced the necesity of international cooperative trials in malaria endemic regions.
3. While qinghaosue is a specific anti-cerebral malarial, recrudence sometimes occurs during the treatment with this drug. Then, we tried to enhance the usage of qinghaosue in cerebral malaria treatment with this drug. Then, we tried to enhance the usage of qinghaosue in cerebral malaria treatments by a combination of artesnate (qinghaosue derivative) and other anti-malarial (deferoxamine). Since deferoxamine is an iron chelator and qinghaosue's activity depends on iron, antagonism between the two drugs must be examined at first. Therfore, we (Japan, Tailand, and USA cooperative team) conducted a preliminary trial to detect any antagonism between the two drugs in the Bangkok Hospital for Tropical Diseases. We obsrved 101 adults with severe P.falciparum Malaria admitted with artesnate and placebo or the combination of artesnate and deferoxamine, and conducted randomized, double-blind, prospective study. Statisical analysis showed no evidence for antagonism between the two anti-malarials. We conclude that the combination of artesnate and deferoxamine is safe and effective for treatment of severe malaria and may hasten recovery from hepatocellular dysfunction. Less