TAKAHASHI Kazuo Nagasaki University, Professor, 工学部, 教授 (30039680)
HAYASHI Haruo Kyoto University, Professor, 防災研究所, 教授 (20164949)
TSUGANEZAWA Toshihiro Kannsei-Gakuin University, Professor, 社会学部, 教授 (30079628)
FUNATSU Mamoru University of Tokyo, Professor, 人文社会研究科, 教授 (90047184)
HASHIMOTO Yosiaki University of Tokyo, Professor, 社会情報研究所, 教授 (50164801)
|Budget Amount *help
¥66,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥66,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥15,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥15,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥16,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥16,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥17,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥17,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥17,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥17,000,000)
1. Research on the behavior of crowds during earthquake
In the public facilities and recreation facilities such as stations, department stores, and motion picture theaters there is a strong fear that great earthquake might cause serious panic behavior of the crowds. In this research we have checked the occurrence of such behaviors in the various past earthquakes, the defects of the present countermeasures to panics, and so on.
2. Research on the control methods of social confusions caused by great earthquake
In this research we studied firstly what kind of social confusions occurred in the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake, and secondly how we could control such social confusions. Although our research mainly focused on the communication and transportation problems, we also studied the influences of the damage of life line facilities.
3. Research on the adequate supply and management systems of refuge houses and refuge places.
In the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake more than 300,000 people we
re forced to live in inconvenient and narrow temporary houses because of lack of foods, water, medicines, etc. One of the lessons of the earthquake was that we came to know the importance of the supply and management systems of the immediate lives of refugees.
In this research we studied how we could offer the proper temporary houses to so many victims, and how we should amend the disaster rellef law in order to improve refugees' lives.
4. Research on the psychological problems of refugees, such as disaster syndrome, and on the adequate countermeasures to Improve the problems in our country the victims' psychological problems caused by natural disasters were generally ignored by disaster researchers, but after the Great Hanshin-Awaji Earthquake many psychiatrists and psychologists rushed to damaged areas and started medical examinations and treatments. As such approach will be more and more important in our country, we also interviewed many refugees from high school students to very old people in the damaged area.
5. Research on the adequate information-dissemination systems of restoration of life line. in the Great Hanshin-Aweji Earthquake, not only the communication systems and transportation systems but also the life line facilities such as electricity, water, gas, were severely damaged, and they could not be restored for a long periods. Moreover, as we had not information-dissemination systems of the restoration situations, many victims could not return to their damaged houses, and restart their ordinary lives. In this research we studied what the proper information-dissemination processes of the life line facilities should be, and how mass media such as televisions and newspapers should contribute in the dissemination process. Less