Time in pictures - Visual characteristics for the time-related impression and expression
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Kobe Design University|
MIURA Kayo Kobe Design University, 芸術工学部, 助教授 (60239176)
|Project Period (FY)
1996 – 1997
Completed(Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥1,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,800,000)
|Keywords||art pictures / time impression / time expression / composition / spatial frequency / color / 色彩 / 方向性(構図) / 絵画 / 構図 / 感性コミュニケーション / 時間印象(速度感) / 時間印象(過去・現在・未来) / 空間周波数(ぶれ、ぼけ、モザイク) / 時間表現(過去・現在・未来) / サークルテスト / 構図(方向性)|
This research examined time impression and expression in still pictures. Main interests are,
1. What kinds of time impression are recognized in the pictures?
2. What kinds of visual factor are related to each time impression?
3. Are the same visual factors used to pictorialize each time impression?
4, Are the same visual factors used when expression is restricted?
5. Do the verbal factors affect the pictorial expression?
6. Does the intention of the pictorial expression transmit to the observers correctly?
7. What kinds of visual factors are useful to pictorialize time impression?
8. What kinds of time expression are recognized in the modem art, and what does it mean?
These problems were examined with art pictures through the methods of experimental psychology. The main results are followings. The impression of art pictures were classified into three groups, in which 1) time has stopped, 2) time is passing slowly, and 3) objects are moving or changing fast. This means that the impression of pictures are classified from the point of view of time impression. I also found that time impressions corresponded to specific visual factors, that is, 1) space, 2) composition, and 3) high spatial frequency. Other visual factors such as color are useful to pictorialize specific time impression such as past-present-future. Some of these factors were affected by verbal aspect. This means that the cultural aspect affects the pictorial expression of time impression. Through the works of modem art, I also referred to characteristics of modem society from the point of view of "time".
Research Output (7results)