|Budget Amount *help
¥2,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥800,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
1. Held the first meeting of the Bioethics Education Network at Institute of Biological Sciences, University of Tsukuba in December, 1996.
2. Established and built up Bioethics Education Network to over 70 members.
3. Held the 2nd to 13th meeting of the network at Nihonbashi High School and Kojimachi High Scoot in Tokyo. Each was attended by 1 5-30 teachers.
4. In 1997 the Biocult survey on attitudes of young persons aged 11-18 years old was conducted in New Zealand and Japan. The results were compared with England, Finland, Germany, and Spain. Japanese students tended to be less concerned about problems outside of themselves, in society or the environment.
5. On 9-10th August, 1 998, about 20 teachers came to the University of Tsukuba for an intensive session on bioethics education strategies.
6. The grant also partially assisted to establishment and maintenance of an International Bioethics Resource Center at the University of Tsukuba. A database is being maintained and data being presented in the Eubios Journal of Asian and International Bioethics.
7. Five issues of the Bioethics Education Network Newsletter were published, and the newsletter is on the Internet for open access.
8. The results of the project were discussed with Japanese and foreign researchers, and presented in several conferences.