The sturdy of the influences of visual stimulation on speech perception
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Research Institution||Chiba Institute of Technology|
SEKI Hideaki Chiba Institute of Technology, The faculty of engineering, Associate professor, 工学部, 助教授 (60226636)
|Project Fiscal Year
1996 – 1997
Completed(Fiscal Year 1997)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥1,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,200,000)
Fiscal Year 1996 : ¥1,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,200,000)
|Keywords||Speech perception / Visual stimulation / Auditory stimulation / Mcgurk effect / EEC / MEG / Hearing impaired / 音声知覚 / 視覚刺激 / 聴覚刺激 / Mcgurk効果 / 脳波 / 脳磁図 / 聴覚障害 / Megurk効果|
The influences of visual stimulation on speech perception were investigated by four kinds of auditory perceptual experiments and a measuring of EEG and MEG.These experiments were used the Mcgurk effect. This effect has been known as the phenomenon that subjects percept the different speech sound from the speech sound of visual stimulation when it is presented with other speech sound.
The procedures of this study are as follows :
1. The experiment to investigate the temporal factor of the visual stimulation in speech perception.
2. The visual and auditory data processing inside of human brain was investigated by using EEG and MEG.
3. The experiment to investigate the process of perceptual development of visual and auditory stimulation.
4. The experiment to investigate which part of face as visual stimulation influences on speech perception.
5. The experiment to investigate the influence of visual stimulation on speech sound perception when speech sounds are presented with noise.
The results of 106 healthy subjects are as follows :
1. When the time difference of presentation of auditory stimulation and visual stimulation was more than 100msec, the visual stimulation exerts little influence on speech perception.
2. EEG and MEG suggest that hyper processing mechanism integrates the auditory data processing and visual data processing.
3. The hyper processing mechanism develops with growing and becomes similar level to that of adult about age of ten.
4. Not only the movements and shapes of lips, but also the other part of face effect on speech perception.
5. The visual data processing mechanism affects greatly on speech perception when speech sound is presented with noise.
Research Output (15results)