Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
Space and upper atmospheric physics
|Research Institution||KYOTO UNIVERSITY|
ARAKI Toru Graduate School of Sci., KYOTO UNIVERSITY Professor, 大学院・理学研究科, 教授 (50025433)
TAKEDA Masahiko Graduate School of Sci., KYOTO UNIVERSITY Research Associate, 大学院・理学研究科, 助手 (30236484)
KAMEI Toyohisa Graduate School of Sci., KYOTO UNIVERSITY Research Associate, 大学院・理学研究科, 助手 (10233967)
IYEMORI Toshihiko Graduate School of Sci., KYOTO UNIVERSITY Professor, 大学院・理学研究科, 教授 (40144315)
SAITO Akinori Graduate School of Sci., KYOTO UNIVERSITY Research Associate, 大学院・理学研究科, 助手 (10311739)
MACHIDA Shinobu Graduate School of Sci., KYOTO UNIVERSITY Associate Professor, 大学院・理学研究科, 助教授 (70209469)
|Project Period (FY)
1997 – 1999
Completed(Fiscal Year 1999)
|Budget Amount *help
¥29,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥29,800,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥3,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥9,500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥9,500,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥17,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥17,000,000)
|Keywords||geomagnetic storm / AE index / Dst index / real time derivation / space weather / リアルタイムデータ / 地磁気観測 / 衛星中継 / 衛星通信|
The purpose of this research project are (1) to improve and to promote quasi-real time derivation of the geomagnetic Dst and AE(Auroral Electrojet) indices which play important roles in studies of energy flow to the magnetosphere from the solar wind, (2) to obtain deeper insight to physics of solar terrestrial events and to make foundation of nowcasting and forecasting geomagnetic storm variations.
We have obtained the following results from the research project.
1. Improvement of collection of geomagnetic 1 min values;
(1) We negotiated with related organizations in Russia and the United States to improve data collection from the Russian AE stations,
(2) Negotiation was also made with Indian authorities to promote satellite relay of geomagnetic data from Alibag observatory. It has not been achieved yet but, instead, data acquisition through Internet was realized.
(3) We promoted geomagnetic data collection by the INTERMAGNET project.
2. Construction of geomagnetic databases : We accelerated database construction of geomagnetic 1 sec values and 1 min values.
3. Promotion of derivation of QL geomagnetic indices : Derivation of the quick-look (QL) Dst and AE indices has been improved and promoted. They are open to public on our WWW home page. More than 10**5 accesses per month has been observed to our databases.
4. Several studies have been made on geomagnetic storms and detection of them.