Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B).
Materials/Mechanics of materials
|Research Institution||TOHOKU UNIVERSITY|
TAKAGI Toshiyuki Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Professor, 流体科学研究所, 教授 (20197065)
QUI Jinhao Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Lecturer, 流体科学研究所, 講師 (60241585)
MARUYAMA Shigenao Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Professor, 流体科学研究所, 教授 (80173962)
古屋 泰文 東北大学, 大学院・工学研究科, 助教授 (20133051)
MATSUMOTO Minoru Institute of Advanced Materials Processing, Tohoku University, 素材工学研究所, 講師 (30006043)
TANI Junji Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Professor, 流体科学研究所, 教授 (30006192)
LUO Yun Institute of Fluid Science, Tohoku University, Research Associate, 流体科学研究所, 助手 (40302228)
|Project Fiscal Year
1997 – 1999
Completed(Fiscal Year 1999)
|Budget Amount *help
¥12,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥12,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥2,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,900,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥3,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,600,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥5,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,900,000)
|Keywords||Ferromagnetic shape memory alloys / Shape Memory alloys / Heusler alloys / Martensitic transformation / Ferromagnetic / Xray diffraction / Shape memory effect / Nonstoichiometry / 磁性形状記憶合金 / 形状記憶合金 / ホイスラー合金 / マルテンサイト変態 / 強磁性 / X線回折 / 形状記憶効果 / 非化学量論 / 非科学量論 / ホイスラー型 / ホイスラ-型|
We investigate a novel ferromagnetic shape memory alloy, Ni-Mn-Ga system, which has the shape memory effect induced by external magnetic field in addition to temperature and stress changes. We have obtained electromagneto-thermo-mechanical properties of this alloy that are important for the application of this alloy to actuators.
For the bulk materials we have evaluated the material properties of this alloy changing the methods of heat treatment and fabrication procedures, and we have obtained the following results.
1. Martensitic transformation temperatures and Curie points change for different Ni contents against the Mn. This change was verified by a differential scanning calorimeter (DSC) as well as magnetic properties and resistivity measurements.
2. NiィイD22.18ィエD2MnィイD20.82ィエD2Ga shows a strange magnetic property that the structural transition and magnetic transition coincides at a certain temperature.
3. The material made by an arc melting method was found brittle. We applied a spark plasma sputtering (SPS) method to this material and demonstrated that material properties were improved by this method.
4. The alloy made by the SPS shows four times larger Young's modulus than that of the alloy made by an arc melting method.
5. We measured the temperature dependency of the Young's modulus of this alloy fabricated by the SPS and found that the modulus changes with structural transitions of this alloy.
For thin films we confirm the shape memory effect at certain film thickness and quench conditions made by a sputtering method. In this special heat treatment the crystal grain size becomes larger and the shape memory effect occurs when the temperature coincides with the transition temperatures measured by DSC. The shape memory effect of this film was demonstrated first in the world.