Language Identity and Modern Literature of Minority Groups in Multicultural Societies
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Tohoku University|
FUJIWARA Itsuo Faculty of Language and Culture, Tohoku University Professor, 言語文化部, 教授 (40036348)
FUJITA Kyoko Tohoku University Associate Professor, 言語文化部, 助教授 (80241561)
SHIGAKI Mitsuhiro Tohoku University Associate Professor, 言語文化部, 助教授 (60215960)
ISHIHATA Naoki Tohoku University Associate Professor, 言語文化部, 助教授 (30125497)
YAMASHITA Hiroshi Tohoku University Associate Professor, 言語文化部, 助教授 (20230427)
SHIMATO Kenichi Tohoku University Associate Professor, 言語文化部, 助教授 (70128429)
|Project Period (FY)
1997 – 1998
Completed(Fiscal Year 1998)
|Budget Amount *help
¥3,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥600,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥2,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,400,000)
|Keywords||Multiculturalism / Minority / Modern Literature / America / India / Koreans settled in Japan / Germany / Romania / 多言語 / 現代文化 / 在日韓国・朝鮮人 / ル-マニア|
The accomplishment of our respective research subjects is summarized as below :
1. E.Santiago, a Puerto Rican novelist of American citizenship, criticizes a narrow view of nationalism and "non-multiculturalism", seeking for the possibility of multilingualism and multiculturalism as the basis of their identity.
2. M.Yamada, a Japanese-descended novelist of the United States who was confined in a camp under the oppression of the Japanese citizens by the U.S.Government during the Second World War, searches for the identity of the Japanese minorities in the universalistic idea of multiculturalism.
3. Indian modern literature, which once inspired the pan-Indian nationalistic movement, now plays an important part in the regional ethnonationalistic politics and separatist propaganda, being closely linked with the populist entertainment media.
4. Ri Kaisei (***) finally realizes the ideology of "nation" in the process of his seeking the identity of the Koreans settled in Japan. His realization is
of course not irrelevant to the history of the discrimination and oppression against Korean nationals in Japan. He attempts to bring out a question of "inner internationalization" or real democratization of Japanese.
5. Foreign laborers and immigrants, who virtually rendered services to Germany's postwar rehabilitation, produce "immigrant literature" dealing with their identity problems, being faced with serious discrimination and expulsion. The detailed analyses are presented in our project.
6. Literary activities in German by the German minorities resident in Rumania are examined in detail. Analysis shows that their literature with its rich variety has the actual significance or function of relativizing the idea of "German literature" itself.
Identity issues are realized as a logical consequence by the minority groups suppressed and deprived of their liberty. These issues can be settled only when human relations free from discriminations and prejudices are established in our society. The idea of symbiosis or peaceful coexistence should be stressed in this context. Literature by the minorities is the literature of human liberation, It is of overriding importance today that we pursue our study of this category of world literature. Less
Research Products (15results)