|Budget Amount *help
¥1,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥1,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,000,000)
Because cubic boron nitride (c-BN), which is chemically and thermally inert, is second only to diamond in hardness, many researchers believe that c-BN film offers great opportunities for wear parts, cutting tool inserts, rotary tools and dies. This study deals with some applications of c-BN films, which were synthesized by magnetically enhanced plasma ion plating, for mechanical usage, especially tribological application. The obtained results are summarized as follows :
(1) The adhesion of c-BN film was improved by means of ion-implantation post-treatment. The adhesion value of improved c-BN film was about 4 times higher than that of as-deposited c-BN film.
(2) The c-BN-coated cutting tool was fabricated experimentally. It was proved that high hardness and low-friction properties of the c-BN film contributed the cutting performances, such as low cutting forces.
(3) Multi-layer of c-BN/TiN was successfully formed in order to elongate a tribological endurance life of c-BN film. Total thickness of the multi-layer was about 2.0 micro-meter.
(4) To clarify the tribological property of c-BN film further, the properties were investigated in various environments. Low frictional characteristics were obtained in vacuum, high-humid and water environments.
(5) Low frictional property of c-BN film was proved even against Ti-alloy.
(6) The c-BN film was successfully coated on a very fine substrate which was a chip using for atomic force microscope.