Fabrication of an obturator prosthesis that completes velopharyngeal sealing without fail
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||The University of Tokushima|
KUBO Yoshihiro The University of Tokushima, University Dental Hospital Associate Professor, 歯学部附属病院, 助教授 (50136686)
TAKEUCHI Hisahiro The University of Tokushima, School of Dentistry Research Associate, 歯学部, 助手 (10222093)
|Project Period (FY)
1997 – 1998
Completed(Fiscal Year 1998)
|Budget Amount *help
¥3,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥2,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,800,000)
|Keywords||nasopharyngeal fiberscopy / velopharyngeal function / speech-bulb-augmented obturator prosthesis / articulatory disorders / disphasia / 口蓋欠損 / 鼻咽腔閉鎖 / 顎義歯 / スピーチ・バルブ / 鼻咽喉ファイバースコープ / 発音障害|
Fabrication of a Speech-bulb-augmented Obturator Prosthesis
1) The final impression was taken of the upper jaw, including the lateral and posterior walls of the pharynx, using an individual tray and alginate impression material.
2) In order to fabricate the final cast, dental stone was poured into the impression. On the cast superfluous undercuts were modified properly, and the speech-bulb was waxed up, with its placement aimed at the Passavant ridge elevated on the posterior wall of the pharynx, every stage of the whole process being subsequently commited to conventional procedures such as recording of maxillomandibular relations, the arrangement of artificial teeth, clinical try-in, flasking, and finishing and polishing.
3) A conventional method was sufficient to well adjust the completed obturator prosthesis.
4) It was necessary to have the speech-bulb and the lateral and posterior walls of the pharynx situated 1-2 mm apart.
5) A nasopharyngeal fiberscope was indispensable to adjusting the speech-bulb and helping the patient regain his velopharyngeal function.
2. Functional Assessment Methods
The following methods helped to confirm the full functionality of the speech-bulb-augmented obturator prosthesis :
1) With respect to velopharyngeal function :
(1) Lateral Cephalogram, (2) Water Drinking Test, (3) Blowing Test, (4) Nasopharyngeal Fiberscopy, (5) Measurement of Outflow of Airstream From the Nares
2) With respect to speech sound :
(1) Pronunciation Test, (2) Speech Intelligibility Test, (3) Articulation Test, (4) Sound Spectrography
3) With respect to swallowing :
(1) Water Drinking Test, (2) Videofuluorography, (3) Cinefluorography
Of these, nasopharyngeal fiberscopy was of absolute necessity, not only in fabricating an obturator prosthesis but also in assessing its function.
Research Products (3results)