Development and Utility Tests of Sport's Mouth Guard
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Tsurumi University|
HIRO Takumitsu Tsurumi University-Dental Medicine, Assistant Professor, 歯学部, 助教授 (90199109)
YAMAMOTO Tetsuo Tsurumi University-Dental Medicine, A Full-time lectuere, 歯学部, 講師 (40166806)
|Project Period (FY)
1997 – 1998
Completed(Fiscal Year 1998)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥1,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,600,000)
|Keywords||Sport / H-shape mouth guard / Shock absorbability / Respiratory function / Leg power / Golf performance / 衝撃試験 / H型|
Generally, sport players of boxing or football who contact roughly with other players use mouth guard during match or game to prevent the breaking of jow bone or bursting of soft oral cavity. Moreover, mouth-guardare used for the purpose to lighter the load to root of teeth and to improve the skill and power of sport's player.
We have developed a mouth guard which has revolutionized the shape and material of the conventional mouth piece. The H-Shape mouth guard has the unique shape like that of an H.Even with the new shape of the mouth piece it does not hinder the performance of the wearer.
The purpose of this study was to examine the charactaristic of unfitted by H-shape mouth guard compared to U shape mouth guard.
The following are the fundaental date collected by our group.
1) The H-shape mouth guard of this study could reduce the impact to 1/7 level.
2) With reference to respiratory function, reduction of the amount of oxygen uptake was not observed at heart rate lower than 170 beats/min, and in this case a player feells subjective symptom of stiffing
3) By wearing or setting the mouth guard, the variation of leg power, measured with a Sybex ll, showed an increase at selected angular speeds. The rate of increase averaged aproximately 15%.
4) The amount of work in anaerodush, an intensive, but short exercise, increased significantly by 1.25 seconds.
5) As for golf, all four of the test subjects joint performance increased their carries by 5.2 to 11.6 yards, using a 1st wood.
6) Also the fluctuation of the head of the club decreased from 7.3cm to 3.6cm on average.
Our group have found that the new H-shaped mouth guard can absorb shock as well as not hinder the performance of the individual who is wearing it. Thus, the H-shape mouth guard can be worn during sports to enhance the participant's performance.
Research Output (12results)