|Budget Amount *help
¥3,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥800,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥1,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥900,000)
This research has studied collection and analysis of Japanese Sign Language (JSL) characteristics, pedagogy based on the characteristics, and a learning system to employ them, in order to realize easy-learning of JSL for beginners. The research contributions are the followings 1-5.
1. Study on pedagogy : A pedagogy, which teaches important things based on the characteristics, is proposed. This realizes an adaptive teach method according to a learner's skill level, and reduces learner's burdensome for beginners.
2. Collection and analysis of JSL motion characteristics : The proposed pedagogy needs numerical analysis of the JSL motion characteristics. Thus a method that the characteristics are derived by evaluating variety of video clips which are automatically generated from standard JSL words, is proposed. This method provides a numerical result that covers all situations of characteristics.
3. Study on a learning system : A prototype system using the proposed pedagogy is developed. This system incorporates feedback of learner's motion by using virtual reality equipments, I. E., a data grove and a 3-D position and angle sensor. This feature realizes evaluation of learner's motion which is impossible in most previous systems. Then, the pedagogy with the feedback enhances effectiveness of the system.
4. Evaluation of the pedagogy : The pedagogy is evaluated by using the actual characteristics which are obtained in this research. The results show that it provides effective learning, and reduction of learning time and learning burdensome.
5. Application of JSL motion characteristics : Data compression of JSL motion picture is considered. Then, it is found that the characteristics obtained in this study can be applied to minimization of number of picture frames in JSL clips.