Basic research toward developing an economic education program in a diversified society
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Research Institution||Hirosaki University|
INOSE Takenori Hirosaki University, Faculty of Education, Associate Professor, 教育学部, 助教授 (40271788)
|Project Fiscal Year
1997 – 1998
Completed(Fiscal Year 1998)
|Budget Amount *help
¥1,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,900,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥1,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,400,000)
|Keywords||economic education / decision-making / Economics America / DPPE / teaching economic theory / 経済教育 / NCEE / EconomicsAmerica / 意思決定 / 経済理論教育 / 経済基本概念 / 市民的資質 / Economic Literacy|
In this research project, I investigated the development of economic education in the U.S.with the objective of developing a similar foundation for an economic education program in Japan.
The highlights of the U.S.case are summarized as follows :
1) The National Council on Economic Education, which promotes economic education in the U.S., criticized the teaching of practical economics and accordingly established a developmental economic education program (DEEP) for teaching economic theory.
2) However, critics argued against "DEEP" and the associated "Framework" and proposed the teaching of the history of economic thought as well as moral and values. In response to this criticism and the associated reforms, the NCEE shifted DEEP to the EconomicsAmerica program.
3) The organizational principal of DEEP is to foster the development of citizenship and decision-making ability. EconomicsAmerica inherited DEEP and in effect, responded to this contemporary need.
4) The curriculum orientations can be categorized as teaching practical economics and teaching the history of economic thought.
5) The educational materials are constructed on the basis of simulation and role-play with the primary aim the development of an understanding of the emotions and practice of decision-making.
I have thus proposed that the basis of economic education in Japan be developed as follows :
1) Economic education in Japan should develop learners' reasoning ability on the basis of economic concepts.
2) A balance should be maintained between the teaching of the history of economic thought and the teaching of economic theory.
3) Educational materials should be organized on the basis of simulation and role-play and incorporate decision-making processes.
Research Output (3results)