Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C).
Japanese language education
|Research Institution||The Institute for Research in Linguistic Culture|
NAGANUMA Morito Chairman of the Board, The Institute for Research in Linguistic Culture, 言語文化研究所・理事長, 所長 (10260118)
阪田 雪子 杏林大学, 外国語学部, 客員教授 (80014413)
関 正昭 鹿児島女子大学, 文学部, 教授 (20138663)
TAKAMIZAWA Hajime Professor, The Graduate School of Showa Women's University, 大学院・文学研究科, 教授 (20245913)
木村 宗男 言語文化研究所, 研究員 (60062999)
山下 秀雄 言語文化研究所, 第1研究部長 (40142062)
TOYOTA Toyoko Director of the 1st Department, The Institute for Research in Linguistic Culture, 言語文化研究所, 第一研究部・部長 (20014483)
|Project Fiscal Year
1997 – 1999
Completed(Fiscal Year 1999)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,900,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥800,000)
Fiscal Year 1997 : ¥1,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,600,000)
|Keywords||US Military Language Schools / Original texts and pirate editions of Naganuma Texts / Naoe Naganuma and US Embassy / the Ministry of Education and the Council on the National Language / Council on Promotion of Japanese Language / Naoe Naganuma and H. E. Harmer / Policies on Japanese Language Education / Japanese Language Teachers during the World War II / 戦時下米陸海軍日本語学校 / ナガヌマテキスト原本と海賊版 / 長沼直兄と米大使館 / 文部省と国語対策協議会 / 日本語教育振興会(1941-45) / 長沼直兄とH.E.パーマー / 日本語教育政策論 / 戦中の日本語教育専従者 / 日本語教育史 / 長沼直兄 / 日本語教育振興会 / 言語文化研究所 / 国際学友会 / 同語彙調査(25万語) / 国際学友会と言語文化研究所 / 長沼直兄とH.E.パ-マ-|
1. Through comparative studies of the original version (published in 1913〜34) of Naoe Naganuma's "The Standard Japanese Reader I〜VII" and four kinds of its pirate editions and other related books, the following points became clear.
(1) Compared the original edition which had regarded as a legendary textbook and was found recently with the postwar revised edition (1948〜50), we learned different points between the both editions, especially on the basic concept, arrangements of sentence patterns and how to handle textbooks.
(2) We confirmed that Naoe Naganuma was employed as a Japanese Language teacher at the American Embassy on December, 1924, while it was believed he begun to work on October, 1923. We also found misprints of publishing dates printed on imprints in more than four kinds of revised editions.
(3) By finding lending lists of Japanese textbooks at American Embassy, it was proved that many students who were taught by Naoe Naganuma became managers in the Army Specialized Language
Project during the war time, and most of them including General Maxwell Tailer worked for the US Occupation Force to Japan as senior officers.
2. As a result of investigation in the United States, we got various new facts on Japanese Language Training at California and Minnesota during the war time, and at the same time
we also obtained papers concerning Japanese Language Training in 1941 and 42, written by Mr. James C. McNaughton, a historian in the Army Language School.
3. We studied relationship of theories on teaching methods, texts and grammatical education between Naoe Naganuma's Japanese Language Education and Harold Harmer's English Education.
4. We investigated relationships between Naoe Naganuma and Japanese Foreign Office, the Ministry of Education, Minoru Nishio, Yahei Matsushima, Kiichiro Yamaguchi and other during the Japan-China War.
5. We studied various problems at National Language Council and Council for Japanese-language Education Promotion. - Trouble among the national policies, Japanese language text writers and teachers in foreign countries -
6. Even Japanese Language Education has been affected by various situations in each time and the policies on Japanese Language Education were advocated during the World War II. In such a state, Japanese Language teachers seldom went with the current of the time. Less