Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (A)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||Josai International University(2000-2001)|
Kyoto Bunkyo University(1998-1999)
AYABE Tsuneo Josai International University, Dept of Humanities, Professor, 人文学部, 教授 (30037030)
KURODA Etsuko National Museum of, Dept, of Ethn sac, Professor, 民族社会研究部, 教授 (60110079)
MAEGAWA Keiji Shizuoka Univ., Dept, of Humanities Professor, 人文学部, 助教授 (80241751)
MORIKAWA Makio Doshisya Univ., Dept, of Literature Professor, 文学部, 教授 (80121804)
SHIRAISHI Saya Kyoto Bunkyo Univ., Dept, of Human Sciences, Professor, 人間学部, 教授 (70288679)
KIMURA Kazuo Univ., of Tsukuba Instit of History Professor, 歴史・人類学系, 助教授 (10004079)
太田 和子 共立女子大学, 文学部, 教授 (60160496)
SIRI Gamage ニューイングランド大学先住民多文化研究学部, 上級講師
|Project Period (FY)
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2001)
|Budget Amount *help
¥18,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥18,600,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥5,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥6,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥6,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,800,000)
|Keywords||Multiculturalism / Assimilation / Lnuit / Naitiv American / Abirigines / Nation States / Immigrants / Globalization / 少数民族 / 先住民族 / IT革命 / 二重基準 / アフリカ中心主義 / 共通文化 / 民族集団 / アイデンティティ / アイデンテイテイ / 国民文化 / 民族文化 / WASP文化 / 黒人文化 / 融和主義|
The following is the summary of our research findings under the above-mentioned title:
(1) Multiculturalism in the three countries studied was borne out of social and political necessity in the respective cultures, in the process of establishing national unity.
(2) All the three countries were British colonies, and they inherited democracy and parliament.
(3) The rise of multiculturalism is deeply related with the rise of human rights philosophy and anti-racial movements.
(4) The native peoples in the three countries (the Inuit, Native Americans, and the Aborigines) consider themselves to be the authentic first inhabitants, and are as such against multiculturalism.
(5) Multiculturalism implies a multi-ethnic society, which is composed of native peoples, European: immigrants, non-European immigrants, descendants of slaves, refugees and such variety of peoples, who are not in unison as to the attitudes towards multiculturalism.
(6) Multiculturalism inherently supercedes nation-states, and thus it boils down to the fact that the two ideas are incompatible with each other.
(7) Globalization is represented by internationalization of English and the spread of IT revolution lead by the US, and thus it serves as a powerful assimilation force towards the minority groups.
(8) Even if multiculturalism attains its goal to some extent, problems such as different treatment of gender in different cultures, and the treatment of Muslims within a predominantly Christian culture will remain being problems.