Grant-in-Aid for International Scientific Research.
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Section||Joint Research .|
|Research Institution||TOTTORI UNIVERSITY|
HONNA Toshimasa FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE,TOTTORI UNIVERSITY,PROFESSOR, 農学部, 教授 (90093624)
LEON Jose Luis CIBNOR,ASSOCIATE PROFESSOR, 助教授
TROYO Enriqy メキシコ北西部生物学研究センター, 教授
NAKAJIMA Hiromitsu FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE,TOTTORI UNIVERSITY,PROFESSOR, 農学部, 教授 (40144646)
TAKUMA Katsutoshi FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE,TOTTORI UNIVERSITY,PROFESSOR, 農学部, 教授 (40032297)
IWASAKI Masami FACULTY OF AGRICULTURE,TOTTORI UNIVERSITY,PROFESSOR, 農学部, 教授 (60032299)
DIEGUEZ Enrique Troyo CIBNOR,PROFESSOR
JOSE Luis Le メキシコ北西部生物学研究センター, 助教授
ENRIQUE troy メキシコ北西部生物学研究センター, 教授
河野 強 鳥取大学, 農学部, 助教授 (50270567)
|Project Fiscal Year
Completed(Fiscal Year 1998)
|Keywords||DESERTIFICATION / NEMATODE / SALINIZATION / ALKALIZATION / SOIL EROSION / ARID LAND AGRICULTURE / SALT ACCUMULATION / PRESERVING ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITION|
1. The present condition of ecosystem and agriculture of arid areas in Baja California, Mexico was investigated by joint research between Centro de Investigaciones Biologicas del Noroeste (CIBNORI) and Tottori University.
2. Salinization and alkalization of agricultural lands caused by irrigation have been gradually developing and abandoned lands by desertification are increasing. The depletion and salinization of ground water will soon be a big problem in agriculture in Baja California. Also a damage of crops by nematode is increasing. It is necessary to take steps to meet these conditions rapidly.
3. The technology of cultivation, irrigation and fertilization seemed to be unsatisfactory.
4. The giant cactus is the most important plant species in Baja California. However, the area of withering of 300 to 400 year old plants is rapidly increasing. The cause is unknown. It is a serious environmental problem in Baja California.
5. Soil erosion of cultivated and uncultivated lands is a big problem in Baja California.
6. The both teams could lecognize the problems in Baja California individually and mutually by the investigation there.
7. The team of CIBNOR visited the facilities of environmental control, crop and water management, chemical analyses and information analyses etc. of Tottori University. They recognized the importance of joint research with Tottori University.
8. Four symposia were held four times in Tottori University and CIBNOR in order to exchange information about preventing desertification and sustainable agriculture.