Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Priority Areas (A).
|Research Institution||Daito Bunka University|
HIROSE Takako Daito Bunka University, Faculty of International Relations, Professor, 国際関係学部, 教授 (20119431)
古田 元夫 東京大学, 大学院・綜合文化研究科, 教授 (50114632)
YOSHIDA Osamu Hiroshima University, Faculty of Law, Professor, 法学部, 教授 (60231693)
井上 恭子 アジア経済研究所, 動向分析部, 主任調査研究員
近藤 則夫 アジア経済研究所, 地域研究部, 研究員
NAGASAKI Nobuko Ryukoku University, Faculty of Comparative Culture, Professor, 国際文化学部, 教授 (70012979)
HAMAGUCHI Tsuneo Osaka University of Foreign Studies, Faculty of Foreign Languages, Professor, 外国語学部, 教授 (70030137)
KONDO Norio The Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO, Area Studies Research Fellow
INOUE Kyoko The Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO, Research Coordinator
|Project Fiscal Year
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2001)
|Budget Amount *help
¥25,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥25,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥8,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥8,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥9,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥9,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥8,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥8,700,000)
|Keywords||nation-state / decentralization / regional cooperation / nation-building / partition / state sovereignty / communalism / South Asia / 国民国家 / 地方分権 / 地域協力 / 国民統合 / 分離独立 / 国民主権 / コミュナリズム / 南アジア / 国家主権 / 開発 / 正統性 / 選挙 / カシミール紛争 / 核実験|
The achievements of the three-year project are as follows :
1. The building of the "nation-states" in South Asia was handicapped by the partition of the British India. Especially disadvantageous was Pakistan.
2. India aimed at building strong centralised state institutions owing in large part to the British heritage, but has been forced to give more autonomy to the states and local bodies, faced with strong protest movements from various parts of the country.
3. Nehru tried to build a modern civic nation, which alienated large masses. The emergence of Hindu nationalism in the 1980s was a reaction to the Nehruvian nationalism. However, even Hindu nationalism has been gradually being replaced by pan-India nationalism. The BJP government has fully utilized the nuclear tests and the Kargil crisis for that purpose. Thus, the gap between the directions of state-building and of nation-building is widening in India.
4. The Islamization of Pakistan has been brought about by two main factors : a contradiction of the "nation-states" of Pakistan and the poor performance of the successive governments.
5. The economic liberalization policy and the development of media and IT industries have accelerated flows of goods, information and people, which have had a considerable impact on the "nation-states." However, these forces do not necessarily lead to globalisation, but the resistance manifests itself as strong nationalism.
6. The conflict between India and Pakistan stems mainly from contradictions of respective "nation-states." Nuclear tests and the Kashmir conflict are some results of the contradictions. The late 1990s witnessed confrontationist aspects of the two brother countries, which also affected our research. Regional cooperation, shared sovereignty and the difference between the relations of states and that of nations are yet to be fully discussed in the future.