|Budget Amount *help
¥12,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥12,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2001 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥2,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥4,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥4,100,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥6,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,200,000)
The purpose of this project is to search various materials that include charge fluctuating rare-earth elements for unusual phenomena under high pressure and high magnetic field at low temperatures.
1. A high pressure apparatus for in-situ X-ray diffraction and electrical resistance measurements was developed using cubic anvils, which works at low temperatures from 300 K down to 7K under pressure of 10GPa.
2. Hydrostatic and uniaxial pressure apparatuses combined with a SQUID magnetometer were made for magnetization measurements under pressure. Those work from 300K to 1.5K under pressure up to 1GPa and 0.5GPa, respectively.
3. A technique for precise magneto-transport measurements at low temperatures under pressure up to 8GPa was established by applying a modified Bridgman anvil.
4. A technique for XAFS under high pressure was developed for measurements of valence transition using a conventional X-ray generator combined with diamond anvils.
5. By using above mentioned apparatus, we observed many unprecedented phenomena in the transport and magnetic properties of various materials, which include one of rare-earth elements, Ce, Pr, Eu, Sm, Tm, Yb and Lu, as follows : CeP, Ce_<0.9>La_<0.1>P, CeP_<0.9>N_<0.1>, Ce_2Fe_<17>, CePtGa, Ces_3SnC, Ce_3PbC, Ce_3Pd_<20>Si_6, Ce_<0.5>La_<0.5>B 6, CeNi, CeSbNi_x, PrInAg_2, PrCu_2, EuNi_2(Ge_<1-X>Si_x)_2, SmS, TmTe, TmSe, YbAs, YbInCu_4, Yb_4As_3, Yb_4(As_<1-x>Sb_x)_3, Lu(Co_<1-X>Al_x)_2.