Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B).
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||HOKKAIDO UNIVERSITY|
AOKI Yoshinao Hokkaido Univ., Grad. School of Eng., Prof., 大学院・工学研究科, 教授 (90001180)
TANAHASHI Shin Hokkaido Univ., Grad. School of Eng. Inst., 工学研究科, 助手 (90250480)
SAKAMOTO Yuji Hokkaido Univ., Grad. School of Eng., Asso. Prof., 工学研究科, 助教授 (40225826)
YAMAMOTO Tsuyoshi Hokkaido Univ., Grad. School of Eng., Prof., 工学研究科, 教授 (80158287)
HATSUDA Takeshi Hokkaido Inst. of Tech., Fac. of Eng., Prof., 教授 (10198757)
FUJIWARA Yoshitaka Kitami Inst. of Tech, Fac. of Eng., Prof., 教授 (20219067)
MITSUHASHI Ryuichi,takeshi Hokkaido Inst. of Tech., Fac. of Eng., Prof. (90254698)
AOKI Naofumi Hokkaido Univ., Grad. School of Eng., Inst. (80322832)
KAWASHIMA Toshio Future Univ. Hakodate, Prof. (20152952)
|Project Period (FY)
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2000)
|Budget Amount *help
¥10,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥10,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥2,800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,800,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥2,900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,900,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥5,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,200,000)
|Keywords||Avatar language / Avatar / CG animation / Gesture editor / Intelligent communication by communications sattelite / Non-verbal communication / Non-verbal chatting system / Non-verbal communication between Japan and Korea / アバタ(avatar) / 衛星通信 / ジェスチャ・エディタ / MATLAB / チャッテングシステム / Lifo言語 / アバタ(Avarar) / クライアント-サーバシステム / 日韓手話通信 / 手話CGアニメーション / 通信衛星 / 化身話|
The research results are listed as follows ;
(1) We proposed a new concept of 'avatar language' in relation to avatar technique in the Internet to realize a non-verbal communication, where gestures and emotional expressions of avatars are displayed using CG (computer graphics) animations.
(2) We developed a new programming language Lifo, which is a descendant of Lisp and Forth language to achieve high-speed processing in producing and displaying CG animations of avatar language.
(3) We developed a CG system for generating CG animations corresponding to words from avatar language in order to communicate across the linguistic barrier. A server-client system is developed for avatar-language communication using the developed CG system.
(4) We constructed an avatar-language chatting system using a software tool : MATLAB, where the system is constructed without complicated computer programming, resulting in simple chatting system.
(5) An experiment was conducted between avatars in Japanese and Korean environments to communicate using avatar language, resulting in collecting a basic data to develop a practical system of a non-verbal communication using avatar language in future.
(6) A communication experiment using Japanese communication satellite JCSAT was conducted to confirm the validity of the developed avatar-language chatting system.
(7) We proposed the virtual execution environment control system in order to apply to the avatar language communication via communication satellites, where responsiveness for the remote access was improved.
(8) We proposed a new estimation technique of urban shielding and satellite diversity characteristics for mobile broadcast geo-stationary satellite to obtain data for the practical use of communication satellite for avatar communication in future.