Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B).
|Research Institution||Hokkaido University|
INOUE Kuon Hokkaido Univ., Res.Inst.for Elect.Sci., Prof., 電子科学研究所, 教授 (30021934)
淺川 潔 フェムト秒テクノロジー研究機構, 主任研究員
KATAYAMA Yoshibumi Univ.Tsukuba, Prof., 先端学際領域研究センター, 教授 (60302387)
和田 三男 信州大学, 理学部, 教授 (20115653)
KAWAMATA Jun Res.Inst. for Elect.Sci., Res.Assoc., 電子科学研究所, 助手 (40214689)
SAKODA Kazuaki Res.Inst.for Elect.Sci., Assoc.Prof., 電子科学研究所, 助教授 (90250513)
浅川 潔 技術研究組合, フェムト秒テクノロジー研究機構, 主任研究員
ASAKAWA Kiyoshi Femtosc.Tech.Res.Assoc., Senior Res.
|Project Fiscal Year
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2000)
|Budget Amount *help
¥13,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥13,000,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥2,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,000,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥5,700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,700,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥5,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,300,000)
|Keywords||Photonic Crystal / Photonic Bandgap / Control of Radiation Field / Photonic Band Structure / Nano-Technology / Light-Matter-Interaction / Light Waveguide / Group Velocity / フォトニック結晶 / フォトニックバンドギャップ / 輻射場の制御 / フォトニックバンド構造 / 半導体微細加工 / 光と物質の相互作用 / 光の伝播特性制御 / 光導波路 / 光の伝播特性|
1. We have successfully fabricated three-types of two-dimensional (2D) photonic-crystal slabs or quasi-three dimensional ones from Al_xGa_<1-x> As by using the state-of-art semiconductor micro-machining technique. Then, we have charified optical responses of those samples, such as the transmittance spectrum and reflectance at specific wavelengths observed using a femtosecond light pulse. Thus, we have characterized, from the vewpoint of controlling the radiation field and light propagation, those samples with the help of the corresponding photonic band-structure calculated.
(1) Optical-waveguide slab perforated periodically down to midway the lower cladding-layer ; it is clarifed that although no guided modes exist, the samples with an air-filling factor smaller than 0.3 and the number of air-hole's row smaller than 10 should work for the above purpose.
(2) Air-bridge slab without any cladding-layer ; it is found that the guided modes exist, where the transmittance is almost 100%, and that this type of sample is superior.
(3) Slab with the lower cladding-layer oxidized for reducing the refractive index ; this type of sample is also found to be good, since the guided modes exist in a limited energy region.
2. We have experimentally demonstrated a few novel aspects of interaction between matter and light in a photonic crystal, by utilizing either a slab sample described above or a 2D capillary-type of air-rod crystal made of PbO fibers.
(1) We have developed a 2D photonio-crystal laser, which is based on a small group-velocity
(2) We have shown in the second-harmonic generation phenomenon that a phase-matching condition is easily fulfilled with use of a unique photonic band-structure, and that the signal is enhanced due to a small group-velocity.
(3) By observing propagation time of a femtosecond light pulse through a photonic crystal, we have for the first time clarified that the group-velocity becomes smaller by almost two orders of magnitude than that in vacuum.