A Study of Narrative Painting -The Construction of Zenkoji-temple Engi-e Paintings -
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C).
Fine art history
|Research Institution||Kanazawa College of Art and Craft|
OTA Shoko Kanazawa College of Art and Craft・Art and Craft, Professor, 美術工芸学部, 教授 (00285173)
|Project Fiscal Year
1998 – 1999
Completed(Fiscal Year 2001)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,400,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥800,000 (Direct Cost : ¥800,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥1,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,600,000)
|Keywords||engi / engi-painting / Zenkoji-temple / etoki / kanjin / image map / media / 縁起 / 縁起絵 / 善光寺 / 絵解き / 勧進 / イメージ・マップ / メディア|
The purpose of this study is to locate historically a great number of Zenkoji Legendary Pictures which were produced from the medieval through the early modern ages. The variety of the works are so expanded both in their content and area of distribution that in this two-year investigation I adopted a method which can be likened to the science of eclogical distribution of living beings.
The investigation was conducted along the following three work lines.
(1) Collecting the photographed materials of as many as extant works distributed widely in the temples throughout Japan.
(2) Analyzing the types of diversified motifs which have created such a varaiety of narratives.
(3) Constructing two types of indices for the further study : (A) Index of Motifs, (B) Index of Narrative Types.
The result of the investigation is :
(1)The research in 70 % of the temples is finished. Photographed materials of the 20 works have been collected.
(2) The elementary motifs have been identified by the analysis of the 20 ollected works.
(3) The indices have not yet been completed. But, the necessary key ingredients for the construction of both types of indices have been arranged.
The study should be continued. The first step has been achieved.
Research Output (22results)