A comprehensive study about the eunuchs in the Byzantine society
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C).
History of Europe and America
|Research Institution||University of Tsukuba|
WADA Hiroshi University of Tsukuba, Institute of History and Anthropology, Professor, 歴史人類学系, 教授 (00041848)
|Project Fiscal Year
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2001)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,600,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥600,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥900,000 (Direct Cost : ¥900,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
|Keywords||Eunuchs / Court-Eunuchs / Parakoimomenos / Atriklines / Eunuch-Patriarch / Acta Sanctorum / Monastery St.Xazaro / Byzantine State / 宦官 / 宮廷宦官 / 寝室長官 / 儀典長 / 宦官総主教 / 聖人列伝 / 聖ラザロ修道院 / ビザンツ帝国 / ユスティニアヌス法典 / 聖職者宦官 / 修道士宦官|
1999:(1) The analysis of the titles and the governments posts for the eunuchs at the court.
(2) The analysis of the political role of the Parakoimomenos as one of the closest attendas of the emperor
(3) The analysis of the ceremonial role of the court eunuchs as the Atriklines
(4) The analysis of the role of the court eunuchs as manager of the Gynaikaion
2000:(1) The analysis of the biography of the eight eunuch-patriarchs besides many eunuch-metropolits and eunch-bishops in the "Acta Sanctorum".
(2) The analysis of the biography of the eunuch-monks and the study of the monastery St.Lazaro, exclusive for the eunuch-monaks.
2001:The eunuch system in the byzantine state was supported by the following two factors.
(1) The eunuchs are descended from the slaves, the prisoners, the criminals and the childs of the poor parents. But as soon as they became a court eunuchs as Cubicularius, they became a states of a free citizen and at the same time many privileges.
(2) If they has a talent as a court eunuch and succed in becoming the favor of the emperor, they have a good chance to get wealth and power.
Research Output (6results)