Political Economic Research on Institutional Competition
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||TOKAI UNIVERSITY|
KAWANOBE Hiroyuki Tokai University School of Political Science and Economics Professor, 政治経済学部, 教授 (60119667)
|Project Period (FY)
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2000)
|Budget Amount *help
¥2,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥2,200,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥600,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥500,000 (Direct Cost : ¥500,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,100,000)
|Keywords||Institutional Competition / Institutional Reform / Public Choice / Neo-Institutional Economics / Path Dependence|
The institutional competition between advanced countries resulting from globalization of economic activities was analyzed from the viewpoint of convergence and diversification of economic institution.
1. Using the international database regarding economic institution and socio-economic and political factors in the OECD countries, advanced economies are classified into convergence and diversification of economic institution.
2. Network externality and increasing returns nature of industries influences the classification of economic institution.
3. Although the interdependency nature of every economy rises in globalization of the economic activity, the degree that is exposed to global economy differs by attributes of industry.
4. The decline of the economic performance of the competitive industries as the cause of economic institution brings about the decline of the economic welfare of the nations. The policy change that brings about institutional reform is appeared through politics process.
5. The political process in institutional reform takes the form of competition over rent between the vested groups and those who obtain benefits through the institutional reform.
6. The speed and direction of institution reform is influenced by the polity of each democracy (presidential government or parliamentary system), independence of justice department, the frequency of the administration shift that reflects political competition between parties, the political power of interest groups, existence of independent regulation organization etc.
7. The basic philosophy of institutional reform, which enables the national economy competitive, is market oriented institutional design and concept of the self-governance based on the checks and balances principle.
Research Output (21results)