|Budget Amount *help
¥3,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥3,400,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥700,000 (Direct Cost : ¥700,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥1,300,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,300,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥1,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,400,000)
In this project, we engaged the research works on 1) the theoretical survey of structural change in the food-system, 2) the change of marine products distribution in retailing, 3) the change of distribution in the processing with technological progress in fishing, stock, and transportation, 4) the econometric analysis of total factor productivity in the food industry, and 5) the location analysis of the food industry.
1. The most important factor of the structural change in food system is in the life style change of consumers. The research works done by Becker and another Chicago School professors are surveyed critically and applicability of such results to Japanese case has checked.
2. While farmers and farmers□ organizations such as agricultural cooperative are making many kinds of partnership with food processing firms, coordination with marine product processors is not so popular. There are marine product specific characters, for example, weak organization of fishermen and fisheries firms, small scale of fishery wholesalers that make the formation of partnership difficult.
3. Owing to the technological development in fishing industry, consumers have become possible to buy many kind of fresh and high grade fish in those four decades. There are three characteristics in fish consumption : 1) an enlargement of consumption area for a port because of the development of transportation and refrigeration technology, 2) mass consumption of fisheries, 3) increase of fresh fish consumption.
4. According to our econometric analysis of food industry, the contribution of technological progress is not so high showing the technological characteristics of food processing.
5. Traditionally, the sand points of food industry had been limited by the raw material availability. In recent days, however, by the progress of transportation and storing of raw goods, the stand points have become more strong relationship with consumer distribution.