A STUDY OF QUALITY OF LIFE FACTORS FOR HOUSE-BOUND ELDERLY PEOPLE IN HOMES FOR THE AGED
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
|Research Institution||THE UNIVERSITY OF TOKUSHIMA|
TADA Toshiko UNIVERSITY OF TOKUSHIMA, DEPARTMENT OF NURSING, PROFESSOR, 医療技術短期大学部, 教授 (30127857)
KUWAMURA Yumi UNIVERSITY OF TOKUSHIMA, DEPARTMENT OF NURSING, ASSISTANT, 医療技術短期大学部, 助手 (90284322)
|Project Period (FY)
1998 – 2000
Completed(Fiscal Year 2000)
|Budget Amount *help
¥600,000 (Direct Cost : ¥600,000)
Fiscal Year 2000 : ¥400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥400,000)
Fiscal Year 1999 : ¥100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥100,000)
Fiscal Year 1998 : ¥100,000 (Direct Cost : ¥100,000)
|Keywords||house-bound / life worth living / sense of leading a life worth living / elderly people / care for the aged / 閉じこもり症候群 / モラール / 生活満足度|
Recently, it is reported that remaining house bound makes elderly people to disabled and dementia. Then, we noticed that the necessity of studying the factor of remaining house bound. The purpose of this study was to investigate what encourages house bound elderly people to enjoy life.
The subjects were house bound elderly people in homes for the aged. The number is twenty persons. We have interviewed them at homes for the aged during three years.
We analysis what make their lives worth living.
Our studies over the past three years allowed us to make the following conclusions :
1) No widely accepted definition has been provided for the concepts house-bound and a life worth living. Defining these concepts is an important open issue for an adequate discussion of the care of elderly people.
2) What makes their lives worth living for elderly people may include (1) activities they enjoy, (2) important memories, (3) significant past experiences and (4) relaxing or meditative experiences.
3) Even those who remain confined in the home for the aged do not close their mind to others but wish to maintain a good quality of life.
4) None of the elderly people examined refused to continue the interviews.
5) A better under standing of the factors that make life worth living for elderly people will help to improving the quality of life of the elderly in homes for the aged.
6) Following these results, we will continue our efforts to incorporate respect for the elderly people is own views of living into home care, using methods such as reflection, and to emphasize the significance of this process.
Research Products (6results)