Proposal of appropriate landfill method for plastics after converting to biodegradable plastic
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
Civil and environmental engineering
|Research Institution||Fukuoka University |
TACHIFUJI Ayako Fukuoka University, Faculty of Engineering, lecturer, 工学部, 講師 (10131830)
SUZUKI Sinya Fukuoka University, Faculty of Engineering, Assistant, 工学部, 助手 (00341412)
MATSUFUJI Yasushi Fukuoka University, Faculty of Engineering, Professor, 工学部, 教授 (40078663)
|Project Period (FY)
2001 – 2002
Completed (Fiscal Year 2002)
|Budget Amount *help
¥3,000,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,000,000)
Fiscal Year 2002: ¥1,100,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,100,000)
Fiscal Year 2001: ¥1,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,900,000)
|Keywords||Biodegradable plastic / Landfill / Degradable characteristic / Pollutant load of leachate / Mutagenicity / 浸出水 / 汚濁負荷 / 埋立構造 / 変異原性|
Recently, the incineration plant was integrated to satisfy the limit levels of Dioxins in emission and get more expensive. Therefore local government needs an economical and safety treatment system instead of incinerating waste plastics. This study provides the problems and its solutions in case that municipal solid waste including biodegradable plastics (BP) was disposed of in landfill after converting most of plastics to BP. To achieve this, we conducted two experiments in modified landfills receiving 2w/w% BP with incombustibles using small lysimeters. In Experiment 1, the pollutant load by two landfill types (semiaerobic and anaerobic) were investigated over a period of 9 months, and in Experiment 2, the pollutant load by a type of BP (PBSA, PLA and PVA+ starch) was investigated for a period of 83 days. The BP used in Experiment 1 was a mixture of eight different types and in Experiment 2, three different types of BPs were used.
From these experiments, the following results were obt
1) The pollutant load (TOC) of the leachate increased by receiving BP, and a semiaerobic-type system was effective in its reduction.
2) The decomposition rate of BP, calculated based on the decrease in the area of the BP test sheet, was highest in the PLA at 89.5%, followed by 76.5% in PBS/A, and 62.6% in the PVA+ starch.
3) The amount of Total Organic Carbon (TOC) leaching from the lysimeter was highest in the PBS/A at 187.3 g, resulting in an initial carbon content of 76.5%, and lowest in the PLA at 73.2 g, resulting in 44.9%.
4) The gasification rate, calculated from the decomposition rate and the leaching rate of the BP, was highest at 44.6% in the PLA and the lowest at 0% in the PBS/A (Figure 1).
5) From the above results, it seems that the pollutant load in the leachate increases by receiving waste plastics made of PBSA.
6) The harmful substances to human health were not produced by the decomposition of BP.
7) In case that municipal solid waste including biodegradable plastics (BP) was disposed of in landfill after converting most of plastics to BP, the construction cost was calculated at 10.2 〜 10.7 billion yen resulting in 65% of the construction cost for pyrolysis treatment of wastes. Less
Report (3 results)
Research Products (4 results)