|Budget Amount *help
¥2,300,000 (Direct Cost: ¥2,300,000)
Fiscal Year 2002: ¥900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥900,000)
Fiscal Year 2001: ¥1,400,000 (Direct Cost: ¥1,400,000)
1. Development of measurement of selenium
1) Synthesis of fluorescent ortho-diamino-aromatic compounds : 1, 2-diaminophenazine were synthesized from 1, 2-phenylenediamine and 1, 2-diaminoanthragarol were synthesized from gallic acid and 3, 4-diaminobenzoic acid.
2) Measurement of selenium(IV) using 2, 3-diaminonaphthalene : This compound allowed detection of 0.8 ng/l selenium with a fluorometer.
3) Measurement of selenium(IV) using the fluorescent compounds : Selenium was measured using 9, 10-diaminophenanthrene, 1, 2-diaminoanthraquinone, 1, 2-diaminophenazine and 1, 2-diaminoanthragarol. Piazselenols from these compounds were so hydrophobic that the piazselenols could not be dissolved in water on fluorescent measurement.
4) Perspective : It is necessary to improve hydrophobicities of these compounds shown in 3) in order to apply these compounds to measurement of selenium.
2. Plant tolerant to selenium
1) Selenium sensitivity of wild type plants : Arabidopsis thaliana Colombia was employed as a material. Sodium selenate did not affect seed germination up to 1 mM but even 150 μM Na_2SeO_4 induced chlorosis.
2) Mutation and screening : The concentration of Na_2SeO_4 to screen tolerant mutants was 500 μM. Three putative mutants were isolated from EMS lines and T-DNA tagged lines.
3) Analysis of mutants : These mutants were being crossed with the parental wild type. One of them was not a mutant at the same locus of sel1.