Development of practical fabrication method of photonic crystals and their application to functional photonic devices
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants|
Electronic materials/Electric materials
|Research Institution||Waseda University|
UTAKA Katsuyuki Waseda University, Faculty of Science and Engineering, Professor (20277817)
中尾 正史 日本電信電話(株), フォトニクス研究所, 主幹研究員
|Project Period (FY)
2003 – 2005
Completed(Fiscal Year 2005)
|Budget Amount *help
¥13,000,000 (Direct Cost : ¥13,000,000)
Fiscal Year 2005 : ¥1,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥1,400,000)
Fiscal Year 2004 : ¥5,200,000 (Direct Cost : ¥5,200,000)
Fiscal Year 2003 : ¥6,400,000 (Direct Cost : ¥6,400,000)
|Keywords||miltiple interference exposure / for photonic crystals / multi-dimensional periodic structure / optically-pumped semiconductor laser / InAlGaAs / InAlAs MQW / RCWA method / pulsed oscillation / distributed feedback mode / 干渉露光 / 多次元ナノ周期構造 / 超小型光機能素子 / カーボンナノチューブ / 量子ドット / 表面プラズモン / 分子線エピタキシャル成長法|
The purpose of this research project is to develop practical fabrication method of large-area periodic structures for photonic crystals(PC) with high throughput, in order to avoid the intrinsic drawback of electron-beam exposure, and apply the PCs to actual photonic devices. As a result, we established the fabrication method of uniform two-dimensional(2D) periodic structure with periods of 250-500nm in a large area of 40mm diameter by using interference exposure method. Moreover, not only 2D but 3D PCs were fabricated on this 2D periodic structures, and optically-pumped semiconductor laser was fabricated using these multi-dimensional periodic structures to realizes pulsed laser oscillation caused by distributed feedback mode. Precise achieved results are described below.
1) High-throughput fabrication method of homogeneous 2D PC in elliptical large area of 30×4Omm was developed using multi interference exposure method.
2) Large coupling coefficient of about 100cm^<-1> of the period struc
tures was achieved by employing Ar-ion milling, shape unification by HF-etching, and RIE with C1_2 gas.
3) Enhancement of emission efficiency in the surface direction by as large as twice. was obtained using surface 2D grating.
4) Optically-pumped pulsed oscillation was realized for the InAlGaAs/InAlAs multi-quantum well(MQW) structure with InqaAsP/InP 32-paired distributed Bragg reflector(DBR) under the MQW and surface 2D PC on it.
5) Wavelength tuning of the lasing mode was attained by about 2nm rotating the optical pumping direction relative to the PC axis.
6) Reflection characteristics of InGaAsP/InP DBR and a-Si/SiO_2 3D PC were analyzed by using Rigorous Coupled Wave Analysis(RCWA). It is found that in the former structure there is no-reflection wavelength range, and in the latter perfect photonic bandgap is obtained with wide wavelength range of about 1000nm.
These results achieved through this whole research project contain almost all which was settled as objectives, and we clarified the effectiveness of the interference exposure method the PC semiconductor laser fabricated based on this technology. Less
Research Products (27results)