Establishment of diagnostic and treatment strategies for chronic fatigue syndrome
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
General internal medicine (including Psychosomatic medicine)
|Research Institution||Nagoya University |
BAN Nobutaro University Hospital, Professor, 医学部附属病院, 教授 (40218673)
ROKUTAN Kazuhito Tokusima University Graduate School, Institute of Health Biosciences, Professor, 大学院ヘルスバイオサイエンス研究部, 教授 (10230898)
|Project Period (FY)
2004 – 2006
Completed (Fiscal Year 2006)
|Budget Amount *help
¥12,500,000 (Direct Cost: ¥12,500,000)
Fiscal Year 2006: ¥3,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2005: ¥3,900,000 (Direct Cost: ¥3,900,000)
Fiscal Year 2004: ¥4,700,000 (Direct Cost: ¥4,700,000)
|Keywords||fatigue / chronic fatigue / dia gnosis / treatment / cDNA chip / microarray / Q fever / HHV / 慢性 / 漢方 / HHV6 / HHV7|
We performed the following investigations to explore unknown mechanism underling the chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) syndrome and to find tools for objective assessment from 2004 to 2006.
SUBJECTS : Sixty patients with the chief complaint of general fatigue
MEASUREMENTS: Clinical information, laboratory data including serum hormones and antibodies against human herpes viruses (HHV 6 and 7) or Coxiella burnetti, and mRNA expression of stress-responsive genes in peripheral blood cells.
MPARTICIPTED CLINICIANS: All patients were clinical assessed by general internists as well as psychiatrist.
TREATMENTS: All patients were treated by traditional herbal medicine according to the patients clinical conditions ‘Sho'.
1) Increased HHV6 and HHV7 titers were noted in 4 patients, but they were not particularly related with CFS.
2) No patient showed the increased antibodies against Coxiella burnetti.
3) Clinically patients with the chief complaint of general fatigue were divided into 4 groups: CFS, psychiatric disease, organic disease, and undetermined etiology. Amongst 26 patients who were fully investigated CFS 8 cases, psychiatric disease 11 cases, organic disease 4 cases, and undetermined etiology 3 cases.
4) Nine genes that may be useful for detection of pathological responses in CFS patients and for differential diagnosis of this syndrome were determined.
5) ‘Sho' did not shoe any particular pattern.
Report (4 results)
Research Products (17 results)