1991 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
Integrated Sensor System and its Application for the Navigation Control of Mobile Robots
Grant-in-Aid for General Scientific Research (B)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||The University of Tokyo |
OZONO Shigeo The University of Tokyo, Faculty of Engineering, Professor, 工学部, 教授 (10010878)
FURUTANI Ryoshu The University of Tokyo, Faculty of Engineering, Lecturer, 工学部, 講師 (50219119)
|Project Period (FY)
1990 – 1991
|Keywords||Integrated Sensor System / Mobile Robot / Sensor Integration / Map Data / Touch Sensor / Pass Planning|
The aim of this research is to construct the integrated sensor system with sensors having different work principles and to apply the system to the navigation control of mobile robots.
In this research optical range sensor and touch sensor are used for detecting the distance to the obstacle and the collision between robot and obstacles, respectively.
The results obtained in the first year of research period are ;
(1) For the navigation control of mobile robot it is useful to divide the tasks depending on the level of running mode and applying them for the control the step by step method.
(2) If the sensor output is obtained in pattern it is suitable to use this pattern directly to control robots to avoid collision.
(3) On the contrary the rule based processing of the sensor data should be used for the logical navigation of robot and by combining the processing of the pattern data and the logical data (symbolical data) the navigation control system with robustness can be constructed.
Based on these results mentioned above navigation experiments have been done with the four-wheeled experimental robot manufactured in this project. The results obtained are ;
(1) In the actual navigation experiment it is found useful to control the robot by dividing the tasks in hierarchical structure for robust control of navigation.
(2) The navigation control experiments have been made in the passage type circumstance using pass planning based on cost-equal principle. The range sensor data obtained when robot is passing bythe crossings and the running records which show the history of robot's collision with wall, the detected information about the running circumstances can be integrated with the information indicated beforehand on the route map.
(3) The results mentioned above make it possible to realize the mobile robot control by integration of the range sensor data and the touch sensor data.
Research Products (2 results)