SUZUKI Yasuo Nishin Electric Co., LTD., Dept.of Advanced Technology and Development, Chief, 先端技術研究開発部, 部長付
TAKIKAWA Hirofumi Toyohashi University of Technology, Faculty of Engineering, Assiciate Professor, 工学部, 助教授 (90226952)
In order to fabricate the AlN film, which exhibits high electrical insulation property with high thermal conduction and is available for of electric .power device, which is available for electric power devices, new reactive vacuum arc deposition system was developed, The system employed the shielded arc technology to filter the droplets, which has been fatal issue in vacuum arc deposition method. The following results were obtained through this research.
1. The films prepared by the shielded system were almost droplet-free, transparent in visual, and adhered well to the substrate, whereas the films prepared by the conventional system were non-transparent due to many droplets and easily peeled off.
2. Refractive index of the films prepared by the shielded system was 2.0 and extinction coefficient was less than 10^<-2> in visual and infrared region, showing super transparency.
3. The films deposited by the shielded system were much harder than boro-silicated galss.
4. Deposition rate of the shielded system was 1.5 time as high as that of Magnetron sputter.
5. The films prepared by the conventional system exhibits c-axis orientation. However, the films prepared by the shielded system shows a-axis orientation, which indicates these films could have higher resistance.
From above results, we concluded that the shielded reactive vacuum arc deposition system were available for fabricating AlN films with excellent optical and mechanical properties. Further investigations are required at the viewpoints of electrical and thermal properties.