2006 Fiscal Year Final Research Report Summary
Constructing a New Study of Global Civil Society : A Comparative Analysis of Transnational Social Movements
Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (C)
|Allocation Type||Single-year Grants |
|Research Institution||Sophia University |
NOMIYA Daishiro Sophia University -> 上智大学, Faculty of Foreign Studies -> 外国語学部, Professor -> 教授 (20256085)
|Project Period (FY)
2004 – 2006
|Keywords||civil society / globalization / social movements / comparative study / internationalization|
This study aims at investigating the nature of transnational/global civil society. It focuses on clarifying the multiple functions and aspects shown and represented in the development of global civil movements.
The research has employed the following approaches.
(1) Cross-national research : A questionnaire survey of anti-Iraqi war demonstrators in 2003 and 2004 in European countries and Japan
(2) Cross-period investigation : A comparison of the peace movements in 1960s and in 2003-2004 in Japan.
Summary of research results and findings :
(1) Global civil society takes various forms, including basic motives and orientations that are often of very contradictory nature.
(2) At a theoretical level, it is shown that the investigation of civil movements should lead to an establishment of social theory, especially that of civil society. At a methodological level, two comparative approaches are shown to be promising ways to employ in the age of globalization.
(3) A theoretical considerations on globalization has been deepened.
Dissemination of research findings :
(1) seven articles in Journals and reports
(2) six speeches and presentations. One in Japanese and five in English
(3) two edited volumes. One in book and the other in the special issue in an academic journal.
Research Products (16 results)