2020 Fiscal Year Research-status Report
Multimode Frictional Anisotropic Skin for Supporting Locomotion of A Snake-like Soft-bodied Robot on Various Frictional Ground Surfaces
|The University of Tokyo
タ デゥックトゥン 東京大学, 大学院工学系研究科(工学部), 特任研究員 (20869226)
|Project Period (FY)
2020-04-01 – 2022-03-31
|Soft Robot / Snake-like Robot / Anisotropic Friction / Bistability / Tendon-driven
|Outline of Annual Research Achievements
I was focusing on two main tasks 1) surveying the research trends which are related to the snake-like soft robot and 2) developing simulation for simulate locomotion of the snake-like soft robot.
- Survey: The first task was done by both intensive surveying and joining conferences in the robotics field (UbiComp 2020 & IROS 2020). This gave me the big picture of the field as well as some hints for the further development of the snake-like soft robot. In the original plan, we was planing to use pneumatic actuators in accordance with tendon driven scheme to control the robot. We the development of new flexible electrohydrodynamic pump (EHD), we are putting this new actuators to the experiment to reduce the weight and the form factor of the robot.
- Simulation development: In the second task, I have been developing the simulation system to calculate and simulate the locomotion of a snake-like soft-bodied robot depending on the anisotropic frictional pattern of its ventral scales. The deformation of the robot is simulated using a series of particle mass-spring-damper model. The design of the anisotropic frictional surface is optimized using genetic algorithm. We are planing to submit this simulation work to the Journal of Soft Robotics or IEEE RA-L.
|Current Status of Research Progress
Current Status of Research Progress
2: Research has progressed on the whole more than it was originally planned.
In the middle of 2020, the work-from-home did caused some delay in the preparation of the experiment. To deal with the situation, we pivoted the plan a bit and focused more on the locomotion simulation part that we can conduct remotely. The work resulted in better understanding of the locomotion of the snake-like soft robots and laid a foundation to design the robot and conduct the experiment more efficiently. Therefore, the research project is still on track.
|Strategy for Future Research Activity
Parallel to the development of the locomotion simulation on-going, we proceed to the modeling of the multimode anisotropic frictional surface using parametric 3D CAD, evaluation of the bistable joints, and characterization of the anisotropic frictional surface behavior.
We also work on the mechanism to switch the bistable joints to change the anisotropic frictional surface. We will do this with two approaches: pneumatic tubing and flexible EHD pump (Electrohydrodynamic Pump)
Finally, we will integrate the multimode anisotropic frictional surface into our existing snake-like soft robot to evaluate its performance in navigating different environments.
|Causes of Carryover
In this fiscal year, the amount will be used mostly in experiment, making the robot, and publication.
- For simulation experiment, we will need to buy a PC and software for physical simulation of the deformable structure.
- For making the robot, we will need to buy consumables such as electronic parts, pneumatic actuators tubing, pumps, motors. Additional material for experimenting with EHD will also be needed.
- We are planing to publish our result this year in the Journal of Soft Robotics or IEEE RA-L. A part of the amount int this fiscal year will be used for writing, proof-reading, processing, and publishing the manuscript.